sábado, 30 de abril de 2016

An experiment that became a six-year journey

Tomorrow is the sixth anniversary of this blog.

How would have thought that the bold decision that I made one day to keep Linux as the OS of the first netbook I bought was going to bring me this far?

I became a Linux user without any knowledge of this OS.  I installed it and made many mistakes, but I was determined to learn.

Six years already!
I kept this blog to record my steps along this journey.

What has changed since I started?

To begin with, I would say that Linux has become a lot easier to install. I mean, one needs less tinkering to have it ready for show-time.  For example, I installed yesterday OpenMandriva to a laptop that had an unusable Windows.  The distro picked up everything and, to my surprise, charged the battery, with Windows claimed was dead.

I hope I get enough material to post entries, hehe!

7 comentarios:

  1. 6 years already? Time flies by!

    Linux has become a lot easier, but new challenges have appeared: UEFI, restricted boot, some new chipsets, and others. Since I don't want to deal with the restricted boot nonsense, I'll continue buying from Linux vendors.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. You are absolutely right. I will never buy a computer which does not have Linux pre-installed again.

      Eliminar
  2. Sorry for the off-topic comment, but do you have a copy of Mandriva Powerpack 2011 to give? Please reply

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I remember I bought it. I am not sure if I still have the image around, though. It was a pay-to-download system, so you have to give me some time to look for it.

      Eliminar
  3. @Ryan,

    I finally found the Mandriva PWP 2011 isos (i586 and x86_64). The question is how I get them to you...

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Mechatotoro, thanks for finding the ISOs! Maybe you can upload them to a cloud service like MEGA? I appreciate your help

      Eliminar
  4. Hi Mechatotoro, thanks for finding the ISOs! Maybe you can upload them to a cloud service like MEGA. I really appreciate your help!

    ResponderEliminar

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released. Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier ...