domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010

And I thought I was daring!

Those who saw the 1989 movie entitled "Dead Poets Society" might remember Mr. Keating's romantic words concerning "living life to the fullest". As the English teacher, he would use the powerful poetry of Walt Whitman and Robert Frost, among others, to urge his students to break out from the shell and be daring.

Yesterday, I posted an entry on how I decided to use Linux and Open Office in my yearly report presentation for the University Professor Assembly, and I really thought I was being daring then.

However, I realized that there are others who are far more daring than I was or could have been. How about risking your chances of finishing your studies in a graduate program to prove that open source software and Linux can be used in a demanding professional context? Read about this experience here.

That is being daring!

2 comentarios:

  1. Actually, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the actual daring, risky thing is using Windows for very important presentations. So far, Linux hasn't let us down while we have seen countless not-so-good results with Redmond's OS :P

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You are right. I still remember how PowerPoint embarrassed me in my Master's pre-defense exam...

    ResponderEliminar

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released. Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier ...